Monday, September 6, 2010

2010 Denver Broncos Preview

For the last four years, everyone always asks me what I think the Broncos record will be for the upcoming season. Every single summer I say the same exact thing, "They are probably looking at 8-8, but if things break right maybe they can get 10 wins and sneak in as a wild card." The Broncos records every year since 2006: 9-7,7-9,8-8,8-8. So there you go, at least I can say I know how to pick my own team's record. This year seems no different to me. I still see the Broncos as a middle of the road team, and maybe they can catch a few breaks in the schedule, on the injury front and in some games to squeak out 10 wins and six seed in the AFC. To preview the Broncos I broke it down into what I like and what I don't like heading into the 2010 season. Enjoy....

WHAT I LIKE:
-I really like how Kyle Orton is playing. He seems to really be in control of this offense, and he looks comfortable and might actually be poised for a breakout season. He is the triggerman in this offense, and he can pick apart an average or below average defense. I like how he is playing and if he elevates his play, then the Broncos will have a chance week to week.

-I like the core of receivers the Broncos have assembled. Jabar Gaffney and Eddie Royal could both go over the 70 catch plateau in this system. Rookie WR Eric Decker just has the feel of a solid receiving threat and viable option for Orton. If fellow rookie WR Demaryius Thomas can just get healthy, the Broncos could have a real arsenal of receivers to work with.

-I really like the Broncos secondary. Champ Bailey is still Champ Bailey and people tend to forget how good Champ still is. Andre Goodman played well last year, and he is a solid compliment to Champ on the other corner. Brian Dawkins is still a beast from the safety position, and I think Dawkins will still be solid this year. Renaldo Hill is another solid player, and second year man Darcel McBath is a ball hawk and a real playmaker in the secondary. Nickelback Nate Jones is another solid defender, and rookie CB Perrish Cox has made some spectacular plays in the preseason and looks like a star in the making. The one thing that I always hear about Denver's secondary is that they are never out of position. That is key and this is a veteran unit that must really carry Denver's defense this year.

-I really like C J.D. Walton and the potential for this offensive line. The Broncos have three bonafide players on their O-Line: Ryan Harris and Ryan Clady at tackle and Chris Kuper at guard. Throw in rookie Zane Beadles and his versatility and the way that Walton has stepped up, and the Broncos could have a dominating offensive line for years to come. The unproven guys on this line (Stanley Daniels included) could really help make the O-Line one of the strengths of this team.

-I really, really like Tim Tebow. Say what you want about Tebow, but the guy made some really nice throws in the preseason. He is still very far off from competing for the starting job, but he has shown that he can be developed as a real QB in this league. Hopefully, Denver will use him in some packages this season because he can totally be a threat in short yardage, goaline, and redzone situations. Tebow brings excitement and the Broncos need that at this point.

-I like the Broncos schedule. Denver opens with Jacksonville on the road and Seattle at home. After a rough stretch that includes Indy, Tennessee, Baltimore and the Jets, the Broncos have games remaining against Oakland (twice), KC (twice), Arizona, San Francisco (In London), St. Louis, Houston at home and San Diego twice (once at home). If they start out 2-0, then they could get 8 wins from this Oakland (twice), KC (twice), St. Louis, Arizona, SF, and Houston. I think that is a realistic view for this team. Remember, the schedule is huge for a team's chances of making the playoffs.

-I like what Josh McDaniels is building. I know there have been some shaky personnel decisions by McD. The Cutler trade, the Marshall trade, and the Alphonso Smith Era have all reflected poorly on McD; however, I was impressed with him this offseason. He was aggressive in the draft, made some shrewd moves on the offensive side of the ball, and has a vision of what he wants this football team to become. I admire that and I think that he is good in-game coach and decision maker. I feel good about the franchise in McDaniels' hands and hopefully this season it can translate into a playoff berth.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:
-The front seven is weak. Hopefully, Jamal Williams can give you something at the nose, but if can't perform, then Denver's run defense is screwed big time. I like the Justin Bannan pickup, but I just don't feel comfortable that the Broncos solved all of their problems from the end of last season. The linebackers have got to be some of the weakest in the AFC. I like DJ Williams, but he seems to disappear week to week. Mario Haggan is a nice role player, but is he someone you want starting as an ILB? The loss of Elvis Dumervil puts the pass rushing focus on Robert Ayers. He has shown some brilliance in the preseason, but he is still very unproven. Jarvis Moss is finally trying to break out four years after he was drafted, but I can't be sold on him, and Jason Hunter was on Detroit's horrific defense last season. How can I get excited about him in a Bronco uniform. It all adds up to a real abundance of questions about this unit this year.
-The running game is a nightmare right now. I know Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter were hurt most of the preseason, but the running game is no where to be found. If the Broncos want to be successful on offense, they need to run the ball consistently. Right now it looks like they won't be able to move the ball effectively with their run game. If they can't run the ball, then Kyle Orton is in big time trouble.
-The Broncos are too banged up already entering the season. This has been the worst training camp for injuries I have ever seen as a Bronco fan. Look at the names that are all questionable and banged up for the season opener: Knowshon Moreno (Huge loss if he isn't 100%), Correll Buckhalter (He looks shot compared to last season), Demaryius Thomas (He could be such a weapon if he is healthy), Ryan Clady (It will be tough for him the first few weeks of the season), Ryan Harris (Could miss the opener with an ankle injury), Chris Kuper (We need him back at 100%), Daniel Graham (He might not play week 1), and of course the loss of Elvis Dumervil. Usually teams are limping into the postseason, but the Broncos are literally limping into the season opener. These injuries are going to really hold Denver back and all these players missed huge amounts of time this offseason and training camp. I can't see them all coming back week 1 and playing well together for the first time. Moreno is the key guy in that group and I can't see him making an impact the first few weeks after laboring with a hamstring injury all summer.

Final Thoughts: The Broncos have some bright spots and the opportunity to make things interesting in the AFC West, but the injury problems maybe a little too much for them to overcome. For the fifth season in a row, the Broncos will miss out of a playoff spot and finish with a record of 7-9.

No comments: