Sunday, March 20, 2011

News and Notes

Here are some news and notes I figured I would comment on as the Lockout in the NFL continues......

1) I really don't know what to think when I hear that Denver is having a private workout with Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker. The Gabbert workout doesn't surprise me because he is considered to be a top 10 pick, and Denver owns the second overall pick, so I can see them wanting to workout as many players that are going to be available at that time. The Locker workout surprised me a little, but I can't see Denver taking at number two overall or trading down in the top 15 to take him. I could actually see Denver taking him in the second round with one of their two second round picks though. I think Locker is probably either the highest rated or second highest rated QB on their board, so why not take a shot and see what he has in a private session. Like I said back in February, I wouldn't be surprised at anything that happens with the Broncos QB situation. I could Kyle Orton starting, Tim Tebow starting, Orton getting traded, Locker/Gabbert getting drafted, trading for Kevin Kolb or Carson Palmer. I think so many different options are on the table. My solution is pretty simple: Trade Orton for at least a third round pick (Minnesota/Arizona) and go into the season with Tim Tebow as your starter. If Locker falls to the 2nd or 3rd round, then grab him. If he doesn't, go into 2011 with Tebow, Brady Quinn, and a veteran QB (Marc Bulger etc...).

2) Roger Goodell sent a letter to the players about the NFL's last ditch proposal and urging them to get back to the bargaining table. The NFLPA sent a letter to Goodell saying that the proposal wasn't very good and insulting. We get it. Both sides are blaming each other. Enough with the letters and finger pointing. Just get a deal done soon. The fans don't care about either side's whining and complaining. Just get a deal done please and move on.

3) Before the league tries to get a deal done and move on, we have to go through the court and litigation process thanks to the NFLPA's decertification. The case is titled Brady vs. NFL, but the real title should be DeMaurice Smith vs. NFL. This whole thing is about De Smith and how he is trying to make a name for himself and take on Goodell and the NFL Owners. I dislike Smith more and more everyday, and I hope the NFL wins the case on April 6th and gains leverage and continues to lockout the players. Smith should just be quiet and stop all the rhetoric. He is making himself too much of the story here, and I hope it backfires on him.

4) The NFL stated that it will continue to construct its' 2011 season schedule and release it in April like it normally does. This is actually a great move by the league because once the schedule comes out, fans really start to get ready for a new season. This won't make a deal happen, but it will start to put some heat on both sides. If I was creating the schedule, I would front load Week 1 with so many marquee games, that the fans, networks and media would all go crazy about if there is games lost in September. I would put Colts-Pats on MNF, Jets-Giants on the SNF opener, Ravens-Steelers, Philly-Dallas, and Chicago at Green Bay on opening night. Just front load and say to the players, "You really want to take these games away from the fans?"

5) With that schedule news, at least I will be able to do my schedule release predictions column. Here is what I have planned to have on the blog the next few weeks. A look at the possible primetime and schedule matchups for 2011, a breakdown of the top prospects at each position for the Draft, and my first ever NFL Mock Draft, which I will mock the first round of this year's draft. See you along the way!

No comments: