Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lockout Update

The NFL owners met yesterday to get an update on the secret negotiations that have been taking place between the Labor Committee and the NFLPA for the last month. It sounded like most of the ownership is on board with the new proposed plan, and Roger Goodell and the committee will look to continue negotiating with the players in secret this week. As much as I wanted to post about the secret negiotiations, I didn't want to jinx the optimism that surrounds it. We'll see where this leads us and hopefully there can be a settlement and an agreement on a new CBA very soon. Many experts feel that the date of July 15th could be a day where Free Agency begins and the new league year opens. It would give the teams a few weeks of free agency, trades, and roster moves, and it will also set up for training camp to start on time in late July and early August. Also, there would be no change or postponing of any preseason games. This leads me to think about what my summer timeline could be like on the Bronco Blog. If we go ahead and say that this thing gets settled by July 15th, here is what the calendar looks like for the Blog:

July 15th through August 1: Updates and blog posts on all of the Broncos moves in free agency and with their roster. There will be a lot of movement with over 400 free agents possibly on the move.

Middle of August: I will then need the time of training camp to digest all the moves and make my selections and predictions on the Broncos and the upcoming NFL season. I usually file this blog post, which is my favorite one to write, around the beginning of August, but it will be around the middle of August when I write it this year.

Hopefully, I will have some good news to report about the settlement of the NFL CBA and the end of the lockout. Of course there is always the real threat of these negotiations breaking down, so with fingers crossed I wait for good news.

No comments: