Saturday, October 5, 2013

Week 5 Picks


Last Week’s Record: 6-7-1
Thursday Night Pick: 1-0
Overall Record: 30-30-5
(HOME TEAM IN CAPS)

Kansas City (-2) over TENNESSEE: Easy game to pick because the Titans are without Jake Locker, who was playing very well for them. I see KC going on the road and getting to 5-0.

MIAMI (-2) over Baltimore: Tough game to call, but I think Miami’s loss at New Orleans on Sunday Night could be considered a mulligan. The Ravens are going to be up and down all year long, and they were just brutal in their loss to Buffalo last week. I’ll take the Dolphins at home to find a way to win this game late.

ST.LOUIS (-11) over Jacksonville: I did take Jacksonville to cover last week at home versus Indy, and I got burned, so I am pretty much done with the Jags for the rest of this season. This should be a good game for St. Louis to get back on track and get to 2-3.

CINCY (-1) over New England: The Pats always lose a game early on in the year, and I thought last week was going to be the game at Atlanta, but they pulled it out 30-23. I think this week they fall on the road. The Bengals really need to win this game after a dreadful performance against Cleveland last week. Take the Bengals and you are only laying a point.

Seattle (-3) over INDY: The Seahawks are due for a road loss. This is their third long trip in the first five weeks of the season. They barely escaped at Carolina in Week 1, and they should have lost to Houston last week, but they won in overtime. The only thing that scares me about the Colts is that if they win, then they would have beaten the Niners and Seahawks in a three-week span. That might be hard to fathom. Plus, everyone loves the Colts this week. 

Detroit (+7) over GREEN BAY: The Packers will win this game, but they will have to really gut it out in the end. With Reggie Bush on their offense, the Lions can hit all cylinders. I really like the makeup of this Lions team on their way to the 3-1 start. The Packers are more desperate so they will probably win it, but look for a really close game.

New Orleans (PICK) over CHICAGO: The Saints have a tendency to fall apart on the road, but they will find a way to beat the Bears this week in Chi-Town. This is a really good matchup, but I am worried about the Bears defense. It might be a bad defense, so look for the Saints to take advantage and move to 5-0.

Philadelphia (+2) over NY GIANTS: How can you take the Giants and feel confident at this point? They have been so bad so far this year. At least the Eagles have a Week 1 win to hang their hat on. I see Philly going into the Meadowlands and burying the Giants.

ARIZONA (+3) over Carolina: I have been dead on with Arizona all year, and I will ride them again this week. They are a feisty team, and I love them at home against Carolina in this spot.

OAKLAND (+5) over San Diego: This game got moved to Sunday night at 11:35pm EST as a result of the A’s playoff game the day before. Whatever time this one starts, I think the Chargers will find a way to get the win and move to 3-2, but I can see a scenario where the Raiders give them some trouble and keep it close.

Houston (+7) over SAN FRANCISCO: Interesting game for Sunday Night Football on NBC. I think the 49ers will win the game, but I think the Texans will keep the game very close. Does anyone else think the Niners are a little overrated? I might be wrong here, but I just don't think the Niners are that great. We'll see as the year progresses but I'm taking the Texans as a live dog this week.

ATLANTA (-8) over New York Jets: I can't really build a case for the Jets winning this game. The Falcons need to get a win after a surprising 1-3 start, and this looks like another tough road game for Geno Smith and the Jets offense. Take the Falcons and the points.

Denver (-7) over DALLAS: I never take the Broncos in any of these games, but why not do it this week. The Broncos and Peyton Manning and in "Fuck You" mode, and I could see them walking into Dallas this week and burying the Cowboys. Denver is 4-0 with an offense that can't be stopped, so if they lose this game it won't be the end of the world-especially with Jacksonville at home next week. The Cowboys disrespected the Broncos by trash-talking Manning this week, so I think they take it out on them in Big D on Sunday.

Final Score: Denver-31 Dallas-21

No comments: