Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Broncos Mailbag-Part 3: The Offseason

Here is Part 3 of my season-ending mailbag where I focus on the offseason for the Broncos and the preparations for the 2014 season.

Who are the Broncos notable free agents heading into the offseason?
The Broncos have a lot of free agents on their roster, and they have a lot of key decisions to make regarding each one. The big name free agents are WR Eric Decker, RB Knowshon Moreno, G Zane Beadles, CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, LB Shaun Phillips and LB Wesley Woodyard. CB Chris Harris will be a restricted free agent.

Out of that group, which ones will the Broncos likely keep?
It is hard to say, but it looks like for sure Decker will leave. The Broncos look at him, rightfully so, as a #2 WR, but he will get #1 WR money on the open market, and I just can't see Denver signing him to such a huge deal. Moreno will probably leave too because you just can't throw a tremendous amount of money at a running back unless he is Adrian Peterson. Rodgers-Cromartie might go too if he gets blown away by a huge deal somewhere else. I think in the end, Denver will end up keeping DRC and Phillips at a reasonable price, and I think they will end up signing either Beadles or Woodyard at the right price too.

Who are the likely cuts due to the salary cap this year? 
According to most websites, Denver has about $12 million in cap space before they start cutting contracts. There have been some rumors about Welker getting let go, but I don't see that happening. Jacob Tamme and Joel Dreessen could easily get cut if they don't restructure. Champ Bailey is a $10 million cap number, so either he will be restructured or he will be let go. They aren't paying him that much to come back next year.

What are Denver's needs in free agency?
I think the Broncos need to look at help at Cornerback and Safety. They could lose Mike Adams, DRC, and Champ Bailey all in one offseason. I think they need to look at veterans to come in and take one year deals at linebacker and defensive end as well. On offense, they need to look for some interior line help-especially if Beadles leaves. Also, they need to add to their receiving corps and a veteran running back to spell Montee Ball.

Who are the Broncos 2014 opponents?
They will host the Chargers, Raiders, and Chiefs from the AFC West. They will also host the Colts, Dolphins, Bills, Cardinals, and 49ers. They will travel to the Chargers, Raiders, and Chiefs of course, and they will head to Cincy, New England, the Jets, Seattle, and St. Louis.

How many primetime games will they have in 2014?
If Manning comes back, then they will have 5 primetime games. They will get at least 3 on Sunday Night Football, and 1 on CBS' new Thursday Night package, and 1 on Monday Night Football. I'm guessing that the Colts, Seahawks, and Bengals will be Sunday night games, the Chiefs could be a Monday night game, and the Chargers could be a Thursday night game. I think the Patriots game will be given to CBS in November for one of their marquee doubleheader games. This is all contingent on Manning returning in 2014.

Please tell me that they won't open the season on Thursday Night at the defending champion Seahawks??!!
I really hope not. The Seahawks earn the right to open the season at home on the Thursday night opener to kickoff the the 2014 season, and the Broncos are apart of their home schedule. It would be enticing for NBC to get that game to start the season and bill it as a Super Bowl rematch, but the way that Seattle killed the Broncos in the Super Bowl makes me think that the NFL and NBC might be hesitant to do that. If the Super Bowl was close, then they probably would have done that, but with the way that game played out, I don't think it will happen. I see Seattle opening up against San Francisco in a rematch of the NFC Championship Game. I could see Denver hosting Indy on NBC's Sunday Night Football to start the season to be quite honest. That would be my pick at this point.

Now that everything is all said and done, what are you going to do as far as the Blog goes this offseason?
I'm still recovering mentally from the disappointment of the Super Bowl. I'm going to take the rest of February off from writing. There is no sense in previewing or recapping the Scouting Combine. The Broncos pick 31st in the 2014 Draft, so the Combine will not be a main focus for me this month. I will add my annual Free Agency List of the best players available at every position sometime before the start of Free Agency on March 11th. Once Free Agency begins, I will post about the moves that the Broncos make. If they lose key players or add key players, I will post my thoughts about each transaction. If there is any big news regarding the team before that, then I will blog about it. If Peyton Manning retires, then of course I will post and write about that, but if everything remains status quo, I will take a break and return when Free Agency kicks off. I am still reeling from the aftermath of the Super Bowl, and I need time to get away from football and the Broncos. As Mike Tyson once said, "I'm going to fade into Bolivian." Go Broncos!

No comments: