Monday, February 20, 2017

Broncos Winter Mailbag

As we hit the worst part of the NFL calendar, the period of time between the end of the Super Bowl and the Scouting Combine, I figured it would be a good time to do a little mailbag to answer some questions that have arisen since the end of the Broncos season on January 1st and the beginning of the draft season and free agency. Why not answer some of those burning questions as we are stuck in a dead time of the NFL offseason? Let's take a look....

How did you finish with your against the spread picks for the regular season and playoffs now that the Super Bowl is over? Let's get this out of the way early. I finished 141-99-14 in the regular season and 6-5 (Thanks for the comeback Tom Brady) in the postseason. Overall, I ended up 147-104-14 for the entire 2016 season, which is one of my best years ever picking games.

How accurate were your 2016 NFL Predictions?
I was nervous about my predictions entering the season. I just didn't have a good feel over the summer about what was going to happen, but I ended up doing pretty well. In the NFC, I had the Giants, Dallas, Green Bay, Atlanta, and Seattle in the playoffs. Five out of six is very good, and I only missed on Carolina. I had the Panthers repeating as NFC South champs, but they didn't come close to the playoffs this year. I missed out on Detroit making the playoffs. I had Green Bay representing the NFC in the Super Bowl, but they lost in the NFC Championship Game to Atlanta. In the AFC, I had three out of the six teams in (Pittsburgh, New England, and Kansas City). The three teams I had in that did not make it: Indy, Baltimore, and (Gulp) the Jets. I even had the Jets winning the AFC East due to the Tom Brady four-game suspension, but we know how that played out. I had the Steelers winning the AFC Championship Game, but like GB, they fell to the Pats in the AFC Championship. Overall, I had 8 of the 12 playoff teams in this year, which is one of my best ever for my predictions, so this year was a very good in terms of me making predictions on the upcoming NFL year. I look forward to my goal of finally hitting all 12 playoff teams next year.


Okay, enough with the predictions and picks, let's talk some Broncos. What did you think of the new Broncos coordinators and the overall staff?
It is a pretty strong staff for new HC Vance Joseph. After thinking it over, I do like the addition of Mike McCoy as the new Offensive Coordinator. I think McCoy is adaptable, which will help the offense and Paxton Lynch. I also like the idea of going to more of power running attack as opposed to sticking with the Gary Kubiak zone blocking system. I am a little worried about McCoy's conservative nature, but you have to think that he will be able to take some of the things he learned with Peyton Manning back in 2012 to help this offense score some more points next year. I like the fact that the Broncos promoted Joe Woods to Defensive Coordinator, and all you hear is how much of a rising star Woods is, and he is taking over the best defense in the NFL. With that said, it does make me nervous that this is Woods' first time as a coordinator in the NFL, and you just can't come in and replace Wade Phillips that easily. It will be a challenge for Woods to live up to that hype, and it will be very interesting to see how Woods handles this defense next year. As for new Special Teams coach, Brock Olivo, you have to love his charisma and attitude, and I think getting him from KC, where he worked with Dave Toub, will really help him and our team in that area. With the addition of former Raiders OC Bill Musgrave as our new QB coach, I love that the Broncos have the former Chargers head coach, Raiders OC, and KC special teams assistant coach, in prominent roles on our staff.

Do you think we go after Tony Romo?
I wouldn't put anything past John Elway this offseason, but we are not trading for Romo. Instead, I think the Broncos will wait for Romo to be released, and if he has any interest in coming to Denver on a smaller contract, then I can see Elway making a move. I think Romo ends up either in Houston somehow, or even in KC.

Who are you looking at in free agency for the Broncos?
The Broncos are already bringing in DL Earl Mitchell from Miami for a visit this week after he got released last week, and I think the Broncos will target someone like Calais Campbell from Arizona to add to the defensive line. At LB, look for someone like Malcolm Smith, and I look for Denver to look at a guy like Julius Peppers on a one-year deal. In the secondary, the Broncos don't need a lot of help, but look for the Broncos to add Cornerback depth with a guy like Captain Munnerlyn. On offense, the Broncos need to revamp the offensive line. Look for OG help with names like Kevin Zeitler, the top guy on everyone's interior line list, T.J. Lang, and Ron Leary. At OT, I would love for the Broncos to make a move for Joe Thomas again, but we'll see how much the Browns would want via trade, so in free agency I think the Broncos will target Reilly Reiff and Ricky Wagner. It also depends on what they do with OT Russell Okung, who declined a pay cut. If we let Okung go, then we are looking at the possibility of replacing both of our tackles once again.

Is DeMarcus Ware coming back, and who do you think we could lose?
I don't think Ware is coming back. I know he said that Denver would be in the mix for a return next year, but I think he is going back to Dallas. The Broncos are trying to re-sign CB Kayvon Webster, and if he hits free agency, then I really hope we don't lose him. I also hope we re-sign Vance Walker and he is coming off an ACL injury, so I'm not sure he will have a big market out there for him. I think Sylvester Williams will walk, and I expect Jordan Norwood, who had some bad moments last year, and Dekoda Watson will leave as well. I would like for them to try to bring back Billy Winn for some D-Line depth.

Who are the players the Broncos SHOULD be targeting in the draft?
It is still too early to look at some mock drafts and the combine is still a week away, but I have to think Denver is targeting offensive tackles in the early rounds. Cam Robinson, Garett Bolles, and Ryan Ramcyzk are the names that have popped up so far in the early part of the draft projections for the Broncos.


No comments: