Tuesday, April 24, 2018

What Should Denver Do at #5 on Draft Night? Get the QB

The NFL Draft is only two days away and the Broncos are picking #5. There has been much speculation in the last two days about who Denver might take in that spot. Will it be a QB? Will they take the best player available if not a QB? Will they trade up or trade down? There is so much rumor and innuendo out there that it is hard to decipher what is real and what isn't. I have and will continue to think that you HAVE to take a QB high if you need one and you are picking this high in the draft. I don't care that the Broncos signed Case Keenum this offseason to be the starter. I firmly believe that the Broncos need to draft a QB in the first round this year and try to set the franchise up with a long-term, young, QB for the next 10-12 years. This team desperately needs it. The question then becomes who do you take? Well, my personal preference would be Baker Mayfield. It sounds like he will not go past the Jets at #3. My next preference is Sam Darnold, but it looks more and more like he will be the #1 pick, and he won't get past #3 if he falls as well. Josh Rosen is rumored to fall, and I would have no problem picking him at #5 if he is available. I think he would do very well in Denver even with Case Keenum named the starter for this upcoming year. At this point, I wouldn't even mind getting Josh Allen. I think the comparisons to Paxton Lynch don't add up. I would take Allen at #5 if the other three are all gone, trade Paxton Lynch away for a conditional late round pick during the draft weekend, and let Allen sit behind Keenum for a year. What I'm not okay with is the Broncos picking another player at #5 or even trading down and letting another team come up to #5 for a potential franchise QB. If I were John Elway, I would be trying to get to #2 and trade with the Giants to ensure I get the QB I want. Don't worry about all the other draft picks you have to give up. Let's be honest, John Elway's track record the last four years in the draft hasn't been that good anyway. Be bold and be decisive and go get that QB. Don't let it slip through your hands. The Broncos don't want to be picking in the top 5 again anytime soon, and if they screw this up on draft night and walk out of there without a QB, then they will be picking in the top 5 on an annual basis. Elway was a "Once in a generation" quarterback who put a franchise on his back. He should know the importance of that position and get one for our future.

No comments: