Monday, February 25, 2019

Broncos Trade for Joe Flacco

The Broncos made a big move when they traded a 4th round pick to Baltimore for QB Joe Flacco. Everyone knew that Flacco would be on the move, but I think a lot of Broncos fans were surprised that John Elway made the move to get Flacco-especially since Gary Kubiak was not brought back as offensive coordinator. But, in typical Elway fashion, the Broncos look to get a quick upgrade at the QB position, and they turn to the 34 year old Flacco to help them in that area. It looks like Case Keenum will be either traded or released after only one year as the Broncos QB. Here are my thoughts on this trade............

-I was surprised when I found out about the trade and I wasn't very excited about it at all. I'm not a big Flacco fan, especially after the last four years, and this trade doesn't get me too pumped up for next year or for this offense.

-I understand why Elway did this move, and it does provide a slight upgrade at QB. I would take Flacco over Case Keenum, but it is not that much of an upgrade. It is going from a C to a C+ at the QB position in my opinion.

-I still don't understand why Elway is afraid to go young at the QB spot. Look at all the young QBs who were drafted and have played well enough to make their teams successful (Mahomes, Trusbisky, Watson, Goff, Wentz etc...) Just because Elways whiffed on Paxton Lynch doesn't mean he shouldn't draft another young QB early ever again. We know what we are getting with Flacco, but he doesn't provide a long term answer at QB.

-I have no problem moving on from Case Keenum, but I don't like the idea of having about $7 million of dead money on the cap.

-The best part about the Flacco move is that it will cost $18.5 million this year, but none of his salary is guaranteed. The Broncos can part ways with Flacco at any point and it will not cost them anything or leave any dead money. That is the only part of this deal that is a true win for me.

No comments: