Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Breaking Down Denver's Free Agent Moves

I need to take a break from analyzing the Jay Cutler/Josh McDaniels situation for at least one day. I can't take it anymore, and my head is going to explode. Also, I can't comment on the Brandon Marshall arrest because I will have a nervous breakdown, so I want to look at the moves the Broncos made this first weekend of Free Agency.

1) Brian Dawkins, Safety: I love this move. I don't care that he is 35 because he immediately helps our secondary, and brings some leadership and presence to our team. Remember how well John Lynch worked out for us when we signed him from Tampa Bay in 2004? This could have the same effect.
2) Correll Buckhalter, Running Back: This was a pretty good move because it gives us some depth at Tailback. The Broncos will have Buckhalter, Ryan Torain, Peyton Hillis and possible someother back to be named later that can carry the load for the running game. This move could be helpful.
3) Andre Goodman, Cornerback: I like this move too. This upgrades our secondary and give us some more veteran presence. He shut down Denver's receivers when Miami played them in November.
4) Renaldo Hill, Safety: Any player is an upgrade over Vernon Fox, Marquand Manuel, Marlon McCree or Calvin Lowry. This signing might be a little overrated. I get nervous when Miami was ready to replace him with Gibril Wilson as soon as Wilson hit the open market. I'm not sold on this move.
5) Darrell Reid, Defensive Tackle: The Broncos didn't break the bank for this one, so I'm happy with it. He is actually a force on Special Teams, but he will add depth to the D-Line and be a rotational guy.
6) Ronnie Fields, Defensive Lineman: He can play both tackle and end in the 3-4, but he is more of a role player and rotational lineman. Nothing special with this move.
7) Andra Davis, Linebacker: He falls in the Lowry and McCree category from last year. Why was he expendable? Why would we want a linebacker from a crummy defense? I think he could become a good special teams player for us, nothing more or nothing less.
8) Jabar Gaffney, Wide Receiver: I love this move too. Gaffney proved he could play in New England. We could put him at the Z receiver and move Royal to the slot-our version of Wes Welker. Plus, this move could be huge if Brandon Marshall gets suspended next season.
9) Lonnie Paxton, Long Snapper: I was a big Mike Leach fan, so this move hurts me emotionally.

No comments: