Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Week 11 Picks!

CUE NFL FILMS MUSIC

John Facenda's Voice Starts In: "The Autumn leaves have turned completely.... The crisp Fall has given way to a sudden chill in the air....The games become more crucial...Playoff teams begin to make their run....Every game carries a steep importance... The playoffs are around the corner......And only one team will be left standing alone atop the Professional Football World."

If the great John Facenda were still alive, I think that is how he might set up Week 11 in the NFL. The stretch run begins, and this week should start to provide some real answers about who will be playing in the playoffs come January. As usual, I like to try and take a peek at what I think the playoffs will look like. It is amazing how much the seeding, divisional winners, and wild card teams can change week to week. Here is my look at who I think will get in prior to Week 11:
AFC
1-Indy(South)
2-Cincy(North)
3-NE(East)
4-San Diego(West)
5-Pitt(WC)
6-Baltimore(WC)

NFC
1-New Orleans(South)
2-Minnesota(North)
3-Arizona (West)
4-Dallas (East)
5-Atlanta (WC)
6-Philly (WC)

Onto the picks for Week 11.....
Last Week (8-7)
Overall Record (69-72-3)
(HOME TEAM IN CAPS)

CAROLINA (-3) over Miami: Huge game for two 4-5 teams. NFL Network lucked out when these two teams won last week. No Ronnie Brown really hurts the Dolphins. I'll take the Panthers at home.

DETROIT (-3) over Cleveland: If Detroit vs. St. Louis was the "Toilet Bowl," what do you call this stinker? I like "The Dust Bowl." It just sounds like a crappy bowl game. How about a cheap sponsor? Let's go with the "Mello Yellow Dust Bowl." I like it, and I like the Lions.

Buffalo (+9) over JACKSONVILLE: This has the classic "Our Coach got fired, so let's play hard for the new guy this week" type of game written all over it. Could Jacksonville actually be a playoff contender? The Jags are a weird team, and I just have a feeling the Bills will keep this one close, and then pull it out with a late field goal.

Pittsburgh (-9) over KANSAS CITY: The Steelers are coming off a loss, and Troy Polamalu may be sidelined with a knee injury this week. His absence really affects the Steelers. Their defense is just different without him. With that said, the Stillers will be angry and have too much for the defenseless Chiefs.

Indianapolis (-1 ) over BALTIMORE: I'm still not impressed with the Ravens, especially after they slept through their win over Cleveland on Monday Night. I don't think the Colts lose this week. Peyton Manning meet Domonique Foxworth and Fabian Washington. Those are the names of the Cornerbacks that Manning will abuse on Sunday.

Atlanta (+7) over NEW YORK GIANTS: I can't trust the Giants. I trusted them for four consecutive weeks, and I'm not going to do it this week. Win or lose this week, the Falcons are making the playoffs. Just trust me and mark it down: Atlanta will be the 5 seed in the NFC.

GREEN BAY (-6) over San Francisco: The Packers are getting going. I'm telling you this is going to be hot team in the NFC during the stretch. The Pack take care of business this week over the Niners.

MINNESOTA (-10) over Seattle: The Vikings are rolling, and I have to admit I did not buy into the Vikings this season, but I have been dead wrong. Think of how many great players they have on their team: Favre, Peterson, Hutchinson, McKinnie, Allen, Kevin and Pat Williams, Winfield, Percy Harvin. Jesus Christ, they are loaded! The Vikes pound the 'Hawks at home.

DALLAS (-9) over Washington: The Redskins showed some life last week, but the Cowboys will take care of them this week. This game will be close for awhile, but I see the Cowboys pulling away.

New Orleans (-10) over TAMPA BAY: Everytime I pick against the Bucs, they screw me. If they are an underdog, I have mostly picked the favorite and somehow the Bucs have covered. If I pick them, then they lose and don't cover. I'm just gonna pick the Saints and hope for a blowout. For this game only, I think the Bucs should warm up in their current uniforms, and then change into their "Creamsicle" uniforms before the game starts. The fans would love it. How great would that be?

Arizona (-8) over St. Louis: You can lock the Cardinals in for either the 3 seed or the 4 seed in January. Who is going to want to see Warner, Fitzgerald and company coming into their building in round two?

NEW ENGLAND (-9) over New York Jets: The Jets have faded after their 3-0 start, and the Pats want revenge after their Week 2 loss in the Meadowlands. This has the makings of a classic "Thanks for Coming Down" game. I see the Pats winning big.

Cincy (-9) over OAKLAND: The Bengals are playing so well right now. I just can't see them slipping up in the Black Hole. The Bengals could be on their way to the #2 seed in the AFC. By the way, I just want all of those draft experts to eat crow on Rey Maualuga. He is a run-stuffing force. The Bengals keep it going another week.

Philadelphia (-4) over CHICAGO: I don't think the Bears are dead just yet. I look for Jay Cutler to bounce back after having 11 days to think about his five interception performance against the Niners. I just can't put my finger on Philly. Two weeks ago they looked like a lock to win the NFC East, now at 5-4 they look so shaky to me. It is just so much fun to root against Cutler, so I'm taking the Iggles.

HOUSTON (-4) over Tennessee: Three weeks ago this game looked like a complete dud, but now I'm actually looking forward to it. The Titans have won three in a row to improve to 3-6, and they are officially playing the classic spoiler role. The Texans are in a dogfight, and I think this game will be very close. The Texans pull it out, and begin to make their run for their first ever playoff appearance.

San Diego (-3) over DENVER: I guess you knew where I was going with this one. The Broncos had trouble stopping Phillip Rivers and the passing game in the first matchup, so I expect the same this week. Also, LT was having a solid time, until Norv Turner took the ball out of his hands in the redzone and in the second half. I look for the Chargers to put a whippin on the Broncos. If Kyle Orton starts, then Denver might be in for a half. If Chris Simms starts, this thing is over at the coin toss. Chargers roll and Denver's slide continues.
Final Score: San Diego: 34 Denver: 13



No comments: