Friday, February 4, 2011

Super Bowl Preview

We have hit the final Sunday of the NFL season-Super Bowl Sunday. I have always enjoyed Super Bowl Sunday and everything that surrounds the Super Bowl. To me the Super Bowl is like a holiday for football fans. It really feels like a celebration of football and the NFL. I've always enjoyed the two week buildup, the weeklong hype, and the constant attention and over-the-top bravado that coincides with the game. I love to watch to NFL Films Super Bowl highlights. I just love everything that goes into this week leading up to the game. It used to be that the Super Bowl game itself was a disappointment and a blowout, but lately, the Super Bowl has really lived up to the hype. The games have been closer and the matchups are more even. This year's Super Bowl is a great matchup. If you could draw up an ideal Super Bowl matchup, then Green Bay vs. Pittsburgh is one of the games you would want to have. Great fanbases, traditional franchises, and both teams are the perfect representation of what the NFL is all about. Here we go with the final picks column of the year.........

Last Week's Record: 0-2
Overall Playoff Record: 3-7
(DESIGNATED HOME TEAM IN CAPS)

GREEN BAY (-2) over Pittsburgh:
Why I Like the Packers: The Packers have such a good offense, and passing offenses are always portable. This is the moment for Aaron Rodgers, and I expect this to be his official coming out party. They will be able to spread the Steelers out, and I think they will move the ball up and down on the Steeler defense. Also, I love the Packers defense. I like how they are playing, and I think that they will be able to at least get to Ben Roethlisberger at some key moments. I've gone against the Packers all postseason, and they have proven me wrong. They do have trouble putting teams away, but I just think they will find a way to get it done.

A Case for the Steelers: The Steelers have a few really important things going for them: Coaching edge, Super Bowl experience, and Big Ben. Those three factors are what would make me pick the Steelers. Big Ben will make some plays that will hurt the Packers, and I trust Mike Tomlin more than Mike McCarthy. You have to look for the Steelers defense to completely shut down the Packers rushing attack. If it comes down to experience, then you have to like the Steelers chances because obviously they have been their before.

I have picked against Green Bay all postseason, and they have beaten me every time. I'm not going to pick agains them again. Plus, I am rooting for the Packers, and I would like to see them win it. For everything they went through with the whole Brett Favre saga, it would be fitting for Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers to hoist the Lombardi Trophy. The Steelers have won two Super Bowls in the last five years, but for some reason I see them losing this game. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have lost Super Bowls in the past three seasons, and I think Big Ben gets his first Super Bowl loss in this game. I can just see the America's Game show on NFL Network in September. It will start with the 2007 NFC Championship in Green Bay vs. the Giants. It will show Favre throwing that killer pick and the Packers losing in overtime. The piece will then go to Favre's retirement, and then Favre's decision to come back. It will show how Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy decided to move on from Favre, and how Rodgers now becomes the man to replace the legend. It will then show how Green Bay fell to 6-10 in 2008, and how Favre then made his way to Minnesota. It will show how the Packers were embarrased by the Vikings in two meetings on their way to the division title. Then, the Packers rebound and make the playoffs only to lose a heartbreaker 51-45 in overtime to Arizona in the wildcard round. All those moments lead to this season and this moment for the Green Bay Packers. It is almost like the perfect story for an America's Game show. The 2010 Packers are the perfect story of redemption, and they will return the Vince Lombardi Trophy back home to to the great fans of Green Bay.

FINAL SCORE: Green Bay-27 Pittsburgh-21

No comments: