Tuesday, February 17, 2015

2014 NFL Season Review-The NFC

Every year, I take a lot of pride in my preseason predictions. It is always fun to go back and see just how close I was, how far off I was, and look at my predictions now that the sun has set on the 2013 season. Today, I am going to start off with the NFC. Here are the facts about my preseason picks…..

-I only corrected picked 2 out of the 6 NFC teams to make the playoffs (Green Bay and Seattle).

-I did have the NFC Championship Game correctly predicted with Green Bay heading to Seattle, but I had the Packers pulling the upset, and we all know how they collapsed in that game and lost in overtime.

-I did have some bad luck in the NFC South. The division came down to Atlanta and Carolina playing each other with the division title at stake in Week 17. If Atlanta won at home, then they would have won the division, and I would have at least correctly predicted them to make the playoffs because I had them going in as a wild card. Naturally, they got crushed by the Panthers and Carolina actually got in with a 7-8-1 record. Trust me, I was rooting hard for Atlanta in that game.

-My best predictions: San Francisco going 8-8 and missing the playoffs. A lot of people/experts had the Niners getting back to the Super Bowl or at least making the playoffs. Also, I had Philly going 8-8 and missing the playoffs and although they finished 10-6, they still missed the playoffs. Everyone had the Eagles winning the NFC East in August.

-My worst predictions: The Bears going 9-7 and getting a Wild Card berth. The Giants winning the NFC East at 9-7. New Orleans going 11-5 and winning the South. Atlanta going 10-6 and getting a Wild Card. Dallas going 5-11, and I had Tampa Bay finishing a respectable 7-9, and they finished 2-14 and have the #1 overall pick in April's NFL Draft. Also,  I had Arizona going 8-8, and they surprised everyone to go 11-5.

Here are my predictions on the left with the actual record next to it on the right:

NFC East
1) NY Giants (9-7)        Actual Record: 6-10
2) Philly (8-8)              Actual Record: 10-6
3) Washington (8-8)     Actual Record: 4-12
4) Dallas (5-11)           Actual Record: 12-4 (Division Winner)

NFC North
1) Green Bay (11-5)                  Actual Record: 12-4 (Division Winner)
2) Chicago (9-7)-Wild Card       Actual Record: 5-11
3) Detroit (7-9)                        Actual Record: 11-5 (Wild Card)
4) Minnesota (6-10)                  Actual Record: 7-9

NFC South
1) New Orleans (11-5)               Actual Record: 7-9
2) Atlanta (10-6)-Wild Card       Actual Record: 6-10
3) Tampa Bay (7-9)                   Actual Record: 2-14
4) Carolina (5-11)                     Actual Record: 7-8-1 (Division Winner)

NFC West
1) Seattle (12-4)                       Actual Record: 12-4 (Division Winner)
2) San Francisco (8-8)               Actual Record: 8-8
3) Arizona (8-8)                       Actual Record: 11-5 (Wild Card)
4) St. Louis (5-11)                   Actual Record: 6-10

No comments: