Tuesday, February 17, 2015

2014 NFL Season Review- The AFC

My 2014 AFC predictions went a lot better than my NFC predictions. I guess I just know the AFC a little better than the other conference. I had one of my best years predicting the teams in the playoffs and how the actual playoffs went down. Here are some facts from my AFC predictions….

-I correctly predicted 5 out of the 6 AFC playoff teams (NE, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Indy). The only team I didn't pick was the Bengals, and I have never picked them in the last four years they have made the playoffs.

-I picked the Jets to make the playoffs and that looks really bad, but I went back and forth on the 6th team in the AFC all summer. I crossed off Kansas City and San Diego because they made it 2013, and I was correct on the fact that they wouldn't make it again in 2014. I couldn't trust Miami this year, and they proved me right once again. I would have taken Houston but their QB situation turned me off, and I was correct again since they finished 9-7 and just missed out. I picked the Jets as a sleeper, and it just didn't work out.

-My playoff picks were amazing and on point. I had Pitt and Baltimore meeting in the Wild Card round, and I had the Ravens winning that game. That exactly happened as the Ravens upset the Steelers 30-17 in Pittsburgh. I had the Ravens and Pats meeting in the Divisional Round in Foxboro, and that actually happened as well. I predicted the Ravens would win in an upset, but they just fell short in a close nail-biting 35-31 loss to the Pats. I correctly predicted that Denver would host Indy in the Divisional Round, and I predicted that Indy would upset the Broncos, and we know how that game turned out. Although, I predicted a Ravens-Colts AFC Championship, I was close with the actual game being Indy at New England.

Best Predictions: Pittsburgh and Baltimore getting back to the playoffs after missing out in 2013. San Diego and KC both missing the playoffs. Miami disappointing once again and going 8-8 and they finished 8-8 and disappointed everyone once again. Houston rebounding from a 2-14 season to finish 8-8 (They ended up actually finishing 9-7).

Worst Predictions: Far and away the Jets finishing 9-7 and making the playoffs as a wild card. They were terrible for most of the year and finished 4-12. I also had no faith in the Bills and picked them to go 5-11, and they ended up 9-7. Also, I guess a gave a little too much credit to Ken Whisenhunt in his first year with the Titans as I had them going 7-9, and they finished a dismal 2-14.

Here are my predictions on the left with the actual records on the right:

AFC East
1) New England (12-4)               Actual Record: 12-4 (Division Winner)
2) NY Jets (9-7)-Wild Card         Actual Record: 4-12
3) Miami (8-8)                          Actual Record: 8-8
4) Buffalo (5-11)                      Actual Record: 9-7

AFC North
1) Baltimore (10-6)                      Actual Record: 10-6 (Wild Card)
2) Pittsburgh (10-6)-Wild Card      Actual Record: 11-5 (Division Winner)
3) Cincinnati (7-9)                       Actual Record: 10-5-1 (Wild Card)
4) Cleveland (5-11)                      Actual Record: 7-9

AFC South
1) Indianapolis (11-5)              Actual Record: 11-5 (Division Winner)
2) Houston (8-8)                     Actual Record: 9-7
3) Tennessee (7-9)                 Actual Record: 2-14
4) Jacksonville (5-11)             Actual Record: 3-13

AFC West
1) Denver (11-5)                  Actual Record: 12-4 (Division Winner)
2) San Diego (8-8)               Actual Record: 9-7
3) Kansas City (7-9)             Actual Record: 9-7
4) Oakland (4-12)               Actual Record: 3-13

Super Bowl Prediction: Green Bay over Indy                 Actual Super Bowl: New England over Seattle


No comments: