Friday, December 22, 2017

Broncos-Redskins Preview and Week 16 Picks!

The Broncos have won two in a row and at 5-9 are playing out the string here in Week 16. They head to DC to take on the 6-8 Redskins. The only storylines worth mentioning in this game is if Brock Osweiler, who played great in relief of the injured Trevor Siemian against the Colts last week, starts or if the Broncos go with Paxton Lynch, who is recovering from an ankle injury. The other storyline involves Redskins QB Kirk Cousins. With the possibility of Washington moving on from him in the offseason, Cousins could be the hottest QB free agent since Peyton Manning in 2012. It has been widely reported that the Broncos would be interested in going after Cousins. In fact, some sources claim that Cousins is their number one priority in the offseason. There is plenty of time in the offseason to see if Cousins will be available, how much he will cost, and if the Broncos have the money to get him, but for Sunday the focus will be on Cousins, and the opportunity for the Broncos to get a first-hand look at a guy who might be their QB at this time next season.

Prediction: WASHINGTON (-4) over Denver
Final Score: Redskins-20 Broncos-13

Now onto the picks for a Christmas Eve Week 16 of the NFL..........

Last Week's Record: 9-3-4
Overall Record: 116-95-13
(HOME TEAM IN CAPS)

BALTIMORE (-12) over Indy: The Ravens are 8-6 and have an easy path to 10 wins and a playoff berth with Indy on Saturday and Cincy in Week 17. They shouldn't have a problem with the 3-11 Colts, whose secondary is an absolute mess.

GREEN BAY (+9) over Minnesota: I know that Aaron Rodgers was put back on IR after last week's loss to Carolina knocked the 7-7 Packers out of the playoff chase, but I still think they will play with pride this week at home in Lambeau on Saturday night. I think the Vikings will win to get to 12-3, but I think the Packers keep it close.

Detroit (-4) over CINCY: The Lions still have a viable path to the playoffs if they can win these last two games. The Bengals are done and it looks like Marvin Lewis is going to leave after the season. I think the Lions win, get to 9-6, and make it interesting for Week 17.

NY JETS (+7) over LA Chargers: This game is dicey to me because I could see the Jets pull the upset at home. The Chargers have to go across the country for an early start on Christmas Eve a week after they lost a huge game at KC. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets win this game.

TENNESSEE (+7) over LA Rams: The Titans need a win badly to prevent a collapse and a missed playoff berth. They host the Rams on Sunday in a huge game for both teams. The Titans are 8-6 and have to win this game. The Rams are 10-4 and look to be cruising to the NFC West title. I'll take the desperate team in this one.

CHICAGO (-6) over Cleveland: I can see the Browns going 0-16, and I don't see how they are winning in Chicago on Christmas Eve.

CAROLINA (-10) over Tampa Bay: I think Carolina will win the game and continue their run towards the division title. At 10-4, they could still win the South and get a home game in Round 1. I like them in this matchup.

NEW ORLEANS (-5) over Atlanta: The Saints are fighting for the South title at 10-4. They need this game to secure that spot. The Falcons are currently the 6 seed in the NFC with a 9-5 record. I think the Saints will be too much at home.

Miami (+9) over KANSAS CITY: It is pretty simple for the 8-6 Chiefs: They win this game at home over the Dolphins and they win the AFC West. I don't see them blowing this opportunity. I think they win the game, but I think the Dolphins will keep it closer and get the backdoor cover.

Buffalo (+12) over NEW ENGLAND: The 8-6 Bills have a chance to get into the playoffs for the first time since 1999, but they have a tall order heading to NE to take on the Pats. The Pats are 11-3 and are still fighting for homefield in the AFC after their win over Pittsburgh last week. I think this game will be closer than the spread indicates. The Bills will do everything they can to win this game. I think the Pats will win, but the Bills will give them a scare.

Jacksonville (-4) over SAN FRANCISCO: The Jags are in the playoffs for the first time since 2007. Now, they are looking to win the division. The 49ers have won three in a row and at 4-10 they have something to build on with Jimmy G at the helm. I think this will be a back and forth game that will come down to the end, but I think the Jags defense will be too much for Jimmy G, and they will get the win in SF.

ARIZONA (-3) over NY Giants: Two teams playing out the string. I think the Cards will play hard for Bruce Arians, who may step down as head coach after the season.

DALLAS (-4) over Seattle: This is basically a loser leaves town match in the NFC. I can't believe my Super Bowl pick from the NFC, the Seahawks, are going to miss the playoffs. The Cowboys still have a chance, but it will take a lot of help. I'll take the Cowboys here to keep their hopes alive and send the Seahawks packing for the offseason.

Pittsburgh (-8) over HOUSTON: At 4-10, the Texans are playing out the string and there is some rumor that Bill O'Brien might force his way out of Houston. I don't see the Steelers having a letdown here on Christmas day, and I think they will get to 12-3 heading into Week 17.

Oakland (+9) over PHILLY: The Eagles will win this game and get to 13-2 but I think it will be closer than the line. The Raiders are 6-8 and a major disappointment this year. They could be dangerous with nothing to lose here on Christmas Night. I think the Eagles win, but this will be closer than expected.





















No comments: