Saturday, September 27, 2014

Week 4 Picks!


I went 12-4 last week, so I got myself back in the race as far as picking games is concerned. Tough week with four really good teams on a bye (Seattle, Cincy, Denver, and Arizona). I think a few teams are in worry mode: San Francisco and Green Bay. I still think both of those teams can recover even if they lose this week and stand at 1-3. This week also features the first starts for Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater and it infuses some life in two franchises that desperately need it. Let's get to the picks for Week 4....

Last Week’s Record: 12-4
Overall Record: 21-25-2
(HOME TEAM IN CAPS)

OAKLAND (+4) over Miami (In London): Right now, who do you have more faith in: Ryan Tannehill and the Dolphins or Derek Carr and the Raiders? I'm leaning towards the Carr and the Raiders on that one. Also, it isn't a good sign when your head coach doesn't openly support you during the week leading up to the game like Miami head coach Joe Philbin did with Tannehill this week. I'll take the Raiders as an underdog in London in another one of these dopey International Series games. 

CHICAGO (+3) over Green Bay: I agree with Aaron Rodgers and I think the Packers will be fine, but I'm not really happy with what I have seen over the first three games.  Chicago has been on fire since falling behind 17-0 at SF in Week 2. Big game in the NFC North, and I am going with the Bears as a home underdog.

Buffalo (+3) over HOUSTON: After last week's loss at home to the Chargers, the shine is a little off of the Bills and their hot start to the season. At 2-1, they head to Houston to take on the 2-1 Texans, who got buried by the Giants last week. One of these teams will be 3-1 after this game, and I am a little worried about taking E.J. Manuel on the road, but I will in this spot.

INDIANAPOLIS (-7) over Tennessee: What a surprise to see Jake Locker on the injury report for Sunday's game! The Colts got back to business last week as they destroyed the Jags to improve to 1-2, and I don't see any scenario that has the Titans upsetting them at home this week. Colts will get to 2-2.

BALTIMORE (-2) over Carolina: Tough game to call and here is why: Can't you see the Panthers defense just giving Joe Flacco and the Ravens fits all game long. This has a 16-13 kind of feel to it, but I'll take the Ravens at home to be on the winning side of this.

NY JETS (+3) over Detroit: I expect to see the following in this game: Matt Stafford getting harassed by the Jets defensive line, yet Stafford somehow battling it off to make a few big plays to Calvin Johnson to give the Lions a late lead. I also see Geno Smith shaking off Monday night's shaky performance against the Bears and leading the Jets down the field for the game-winning score. 

Tampa Bay (+8) over PITTSBURGH: The Steelers will win but this game has the classic back-door cover written all over. Pittsburgh's defense is banged up, but you figure they should be good enough to handle the Bucs.

Jacksonville (+13) over SAN DIEGO: The Chargers will win this game outright, but I'm banking on the debut of Blake Bortles to at least cover the double-digit spread. 

SAN FRANCISCO (-4) over Philly: Everyone will be picking the Eagles, but don't count out the Niners just yet. I can't see them going to 1-3 with another loss at home.

MINNESOTA (+4) over Atlanta: Just like I took Blake Bortles to cover the spread in his first start, I am going with Teddy Bridgewater here. I think the Falcons will win the game, but this game seems like it will come down to the wire.

New Orleans (-3) over DALLAS: Drew Brees and Sean Payton head to Dallas to take on that Dallas secondary. Did you see what Austin Davis did to them last week? I'll take the Saints laying only three on the road.

New England (-3) over KANSAS CITY: Interesting game on Monday Night Football. I can see KC being very dangerous here, but I have the feeling that the Pats are due for a breakout game, and this is the perfect spot for them. They were very underwhelming in their 16-9 win over the Raiders last week, but look for the Pats to bounce back on the road in Arrowhead. 

No comments: