Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Broncos Mailbag Part 3: The Future

Here is the third and final installment of the Broncos season-ending mailbag. This one focuses on the future...

How surprised were you that John Fox and the Broncos "mutually parted ways?"
When I woke up the day of Denver's playoff game against the Colts, and I read about how Jay Glazer tweeted that Fox could be fired if they lost, I was actually surprised. The day after they lost to the Colts, and the manner in which they lost, I wasn't surprised at all. I think Fox is a good coach, and he was the right man for the job in 2011. He won four straight AFC West titles, won 12 or more games in 3 out of the 4 years in Denver, took the Broncos to the Super Bowl in 2013, and won a playoff game with TIM TEBOW! He did a really good job, but he really came up short in the big moments. The loss to the Ravens in 2012 was a really bad moment for Fox. He really screwed that game up at the end. He got completely out-coached in the Super Bowl loss to the Seahawks, and he was downright awful in the loss to the Colts. Did he deserve to be let go? Of course not, but sometimes you have to pull the trigger if you think the coach is one of the reasons why you can't get over the hump and win a championship, and I think Fox wasn't going to be able to lead the Broncos to a Super Bowl title. I just don't think he is a good enough in-game coach, and I question his ability to out-coach someone else in a big game. Plus, as lot of his faults were covered up by having Peyton Manning. Manning made Fox more successful. It wasn't the other way around.

Did you think that the hiring of Gary Kubiak was the right move for this franchise?
I do think it was a good move. I think Kubiak did a pretty good job in his time in Houston, and I think head coaches learn a lot the second time they get a chance to run the show. I love the fact that he has a long Bronco history, has a great relationship with John Elway, and has put together a good staff so far. Only time will tell if he can get this team over the hump and win a Super Bowl, but I do like the hire, and I think he will do a good job as the Broncos head man in the years to come.

Who are the Broncos free agents heading into the offseason?
There are a lot of them. Here is the list of unrestricted free agents: Wes Welker, Demaryius Thomas, Terrence Knighton, Jacob Tamme, Will Montgomery, Mitch Unrein, Rahim Moore, Orlando Franklin, Quinton Carter, Nate Irving, Julius Thomas, and Virgil Green. The list of restricted free agents includes: Steven Johnson, Aaron Brewer, Tony Carter, Brandon Marshall, and Ben Garland.

Who do you think they will try to re-sign or let go?
I think the Broncos will use the Franchise Tag on Demaryius Thomas. From there, I think it depends on what they want to prioritize. I could see them re-signing Tamme, Green or Moore and someone like Unrein. I think that they will try to sign Knighton and Julius Thomas, but I think they will get outbid by other teams for those two guys. I think Welker, Montgomery, Irving, and Franklin are all definitely gone. I do think they will keep Brandon Marshall and tender him.

Who are their 2015 opponents?
The Broncos have a really tough schedule based on 2013 results. Here are their home game for next year: Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs, Baltimore, Cincy, Green Bay, Minnesota, and New England. Their road games are: Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, and Indy.

Most importantly, will Peyton Manning return next year?
If I had to say right now, then I would say no. I don't think Manning will be back next year. I think he will retire. Watching him at the end of the Colts game was sad because it looked like he was done, and it looked like that was going to be his last game ever. I still think he can play at a high level, and I still think he can be effective, but I just don't think his body will be able to withstand a full 16 game season and then at least 3 playoff games. I just don't think he can stay healthy from August to January. I hope and pray that he comes back, but I think he is done physically. Throw in the coaching change, and I think that he will come to the realization that it is time for him to retire. If Manning comes back, then Denver is still a contender in the AFC, and the Broncos can easily win at least 10 games next year. If he retires, then the Super Bowl window has closed and this team has to rebuild for the future. I really hope he comes back, but I have a feeling that Manning is done.

No comments: