Sunday, October 9, 2016

Broncos-Falcons Preview and Week 5 Picks!

The 4-0 Broncos host the 3-1 Falcons in a game that has suddenly become one of the marquee games of the weekend this Sunday. The game is exciting because it matches the Broncos great defense going up against the high-powered offense of the Falcons. If you are looking for a reference on good defense going up against a good offense, then look no further than Super Bowl 50 when the Broncos historic defense shut down the Panthers and their top flight offense. This Falcons team is different because they have an offense that can sling it. Matt Ryan is playing the best ball in a long time, and Julio Jones and Devonta Freeman are explosive players. It will be a fun matchup and I'm looking forward to the challenge for this Broncos defense. The Broncos are also not sure if QB Trevor Siemian will start the game due to last week's shoulder injury. If he can't go, then Paxton Lynch gets the nod. I think this will be a close game, and I think the Falcons will have some success, but in traditional Broncos fashion, I think this game comes down to the end and the Broncos defense will be able to hold off the Falcons late.

Atlanta (+5) over DENVER
Final Score: Broncos-26 Falcons-24

Now, onto the picks for Week 5....

Last Week's Record: 5-10
Overall Record: 33-28-2
(HOME TEAM IN CAPS)

MINNESOTA (-6) over Houston: The Vikings are 4-0 and they look like the best team in the NFC right now. They throttled the Giants last Monday night, and now the 3-1 Texans come into Minnesota this week. The Texans are that team that beats up on the weak teams, but can't beat a good team-especially on the road. I like the matchup with the Vikings defense going up against Brock Osweiler.

Tennessee (+4) over MIAMI: The Dolphins could be in flux in this game with Hurricane Matthew bearing down on Florida. In any event, do you have any confidence in the 1-3 Dolphins. The Titans come in at 1-3, but they almost pulled out victories the last two weeks against the Raiders and the Texans. I think this is a three point game either way.

New England (-9) over CLEVELAND: This one is pretty simple: Tom Brady is back from his four game suspension, and he returns to take on the 0-4 Browns. Take the Pats and lay the points.

NY Jets (+9.5) over PITTSBURGH: I figured that either the Steelers or the Vikings won't cover their spread at home this week. I think this game will be closer than people think. I know that Revis might not play, but I can see the Jets getting to Ben Roethlisberger with their front. I think the Steelers will be able to exploit the secondary of the Jets, but I could see Gang Green keeping this game closer than people think.

Washington (+4) over BALTIMORE: The Ravens suffered a crushing loss at home to the Raiders last week to fall to 3-1. The Redskins got to 2-2 with a home win over the Browns. The 2016 "Battle of the Beltway" has a chance to be a good game. I think the Ravens will win, but I think it is close and will come down to a field goal at the end.

DETROIT (+4) over Philly: I might be the only person left in America that isn't buying into the Eagles just yet. I think they are improved from last year, and I like what I saw from Carson Wentz, but I can't go crazy about them at this point. The Lions come in at 1-3 and looked awful last week at Chicago. I can see them playing a solid game at home this week and pulling the upset.

INDY(-4) over Chicago: This is the time for the Colts to somehow right the ship. They are 1-3 coming off a tough loss to the Jags in London, and now they return home to take on the 1-3 Bears. How many times in Andrew Luck's career have the Colts been down by 10 or more points in the second half of games. It seems like that is the case every week. I think the Colts will win this game because if they don't and they fall to 1-4, it could get ugly in Indianapolis.

Buffalo (+3) over LOS ANGELES: What a weird game this has turned out to be. The Rams are somehow 3-1 with one of the worst offenses in the league. The Bills are 2-2 after starting the year at 0-2. This is a hard game to call, but I think I'll go with the Bills on the road. This seems like a 17-13 game either way, and I think the Bills will find a way to win.

OAKLAND (-3) over San Diego: The Chargers are 1-3 and they have led every game at the 2:00 warning. The way they lost last week's game to the Saints was just awful. The problem for the Chargers is that they are getting killed with injuries each week. I have a tough time thinking they will be able to hold off the Raiders in the Black Hole on Sunday. The Raiders come in at 3-1 after three road wins in their first four games. Look for the Raiders to get to 4-1 and take care of business at home over the Bolts.

DALLAS (+1) over Cincy: The Cowboys are off to a 3-1 start thanks to the play of QB Dak Prescott and RB Ezekiel Elliot. The Bengals come to Dallas at 2-2 and have had 10 days off thanks to a Thursday night win over Miami in Week 4. I like this game a lot and I think it will be a fun game to watch. I think the Cowboys will get to 4-1 in a close, hard-fought victory.

GREEN BAY (-7) over NY Giants: I don't like anything I have seen out of the Giants the last two weeks. Now, they head to Lambeau to take on the 2-1 Packers, who are coming off their bye week. I think the G-Men are running into a buzzsaw on Sunday night. I don't have a lot of confidence that they can win this game or even keep it close.

Tampa Bay (+5) over CAROLINA: Cam Newton's status is uncertain due to the concussion he suffered in last Sunday's loss to the Falcons. At 1-3, the Panthers are struggling, but this could be the game that gets them back on track. Jameis Winston has really struggled the last three weeks, and I think his struggles will continue this week. I just don't think the Bucs are a good team at this point in the year.

No comments: