Friday, October 6, 2017

Broncos at the Bye and Week 5 Picks!

Here we are with the Broncos at the bye week, and they are 3-1 heading into the week off. Divisional home wins over the Chargers and Raiders and an impressive blowout win over the Cowboys have given the Broncos a nice cushion to start the year. There is a lot left to be done, and last year they were 4-0 after four games and they ended up going 9-7. Some numbers to look at for this team heading into the bye: Trevor Siemian is on pace for 3.552 yards, 28 TDs, and 16 INT. C.J. Anderson is on pace for over 1,300 yards rushing. Demaryius Thomas is on pace for 72 receptions and 988 yards, and Emmanuel Sanders is on pace for 80 catches and 760 yards. We need those receiver numbers to go up the next 12 games. The offense has scored 91 points (not including Aqib Talib's pick six against the Cowboys) and that averages to 22 points a game. Also, the defense has been phenomenal. Von Miller have 4 sacks and is on pace for 16. Derek Wolfe, Shaq Barrett, Domata Peko, Adam Gotsis, and Shelby Harris have all played solid on the front seven, and we know about the secondary. Chris Harris, Bradley Roby, Aqib Talib, and Justin Simmons all have interceptions this year. The defense is averaging 18 points given up a game. The Broncos look to be a solid team, but with a lot of road games ahead of them, they are going to be tested. What type of team is this group on the road? We'll find out soon enough. Plus, Denver gets the Giants in two weeks at home on SNF, and then travels to Los Angeles to take on the Chargers. Those teams are a combined 0-8 right now. They have to be 5-1 heading after those games-no excuses otherwise.

Now, onto the picks for Week 5 in the NFL...............


Last Week's Record: 9-7
Overall Record: 30-32-1
(HOME TEAM IN CAPS)

NY GIANTS (-3) over LA Chargers:
Both teams come in at 0-4, and now the Chargers have to come all the way across the country to take on the Giants in an early start on Sunday. I think the Giants are bad, but they should find a way to send the Chargers packing at 0-5.

Buffalo (+3) over CINCY:
I've doubted the Bills all year long and they are coming off big wins over the Broncos at home and the Falcons on the road. I'm nervous about taking them in this spot, but I am going to ride the Bills bandwagon one more week. This will be tough, but I can see the Bills winning late.

CLEVELAND (-1) over NY Jets:
The Jets were supposed to be the worst team in the league and now they are 2-2 after back-to-back wins over the Dolphins and Jags. Now, they head to Cleveland and everyone thinks they will dominate the 0-4 Browns. I think the Browns will surprise some people and will get their first win of the season and give the Jets and their fans a dose of reality.

Jacksonville (+9) over PITTSBURGH:
At 2-2, the Jags are playing okay, and I like them in this matchup as a huge underdog. I think the Steelers will win the game, but I see this game being closer than the line indicates. As long as Blake Bortles doesn't implode, I think the Jags defense will keep the Steelers in check for a while. Call it 24-20 Steelers.

MIAMI (+3) over Tennessee:
Miami plays at home for the first time this season. After getting their bye in Week 1 because of Hurricane Irma, the Fish had three straight road games including a trip to London. Miami is 1-2 and their offense looks awful at this point. The Titans come in at 2-2 and Marcus Mariota is questionable with a hamstring injury. I have a feeling the Dolphins break out just enough to get the win over the Titans as a home underdog.

INDY (-1) over San Francisco:
Andrew Luck is still not ready to return, so it will be Jacoby Brissett once again. I think that the 1-3 Colts should find a way to take care of the 0-4 49ers in a game that I will probably not watch at all. There you go.

PHILLY (-6) over Arizona:
The Eagles are 3-1 and now they host the 2-2 Cardinals. Arizona looks like it just doesn't have it this year-they barely got by the 49ers at home last week. I think Philly could be sneaky good, and I'll take them here at home to win and get to 4-1.

Carolina (+3) over DETROIT:
A matchup of two 3-1 teams in Ford Field on Sunday. I have liked the Panthers in this game since the moment the line came out. I think that it will be a close, tight game throughout, but I like the Panthers to pull it out late.

Seattle (+2) over LA RAMS:
A very interesting late game on Sunday afternoon. I'm very intrigued by this game. I like Seattle in this spot because I just don't know if the Rams are ready for this moment yet. I think the Rams are fun and exciting to watch right now, but I can't bet against Seattle just yet. Fun game regardless.

Baltimore (+2) over OAKLAND:
Another very interesting game on Sunday in the late window. The Raiders are 2-2 and look lost on offense, and now Derek Carr is out 2-6 weeks with a back injury compliments of the Broncos defense last week. They come home to host the 2-2 Ravens, who have lost two in a row. I like the Ravens because they have a solid defense and good defenses can travel. I'll take that matchup against the Raiders, who are starting E.J. Manuel in place of Carr, and I think the Ravens win going away.

Green Bay (+3) over DALLAS:
The marquee game of the day is in Dallas as the 2-2 Cowboys host the 3-1 Packers in a rematch of their classic Divisional Playoff last year. I think Dallas should be kicking themselves for blowing a 17-6 lead last week at home to the Rams and losing 35-30. I don't love Dallas' defense, and I just think that Aaron Rodgers relishes these spots. I think the Packers get to 4-1 with a road win in Big D.

HOUSTON (+2) over Kansas City:
I really like this game on SNF, I think the Texans are ready to take down Chiefs. I like the way that Deshaun Watson has looked so far, and I think Houston knocks off the 4-0 Chiefs. This is a very good SNF game and has a lot of implications in the AFC as well.

CHICAGO (+3) over Minnesota:
The 1-3 Bears host the Vikings with Mitch Trubisky getting the nod at QB for Chicago. At least he can provide some excitement after the Bears trotted out Mike Glennon for the first four weeks. The Vikings are still waiting for Sam Bradford to get healthy again, so it looks like it will be Case Keenum once again. It is hard to tell what type of team the Vikings are without Bradford at the controls. I'll take the Bears in an upset at home, even with the rookie QB going against the Vikings defense.


No comments: