Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Broncos Fire Vance Joseph

On Monday morning, hours after the Broncos season finale loss to the Chargers, Vance Joseph learned the news from John Elway that we had expected: He was out as head coach. We all expected it to happen, and after two years I had seen enough myself. VJ finished 11-21 in two years, and had back-to-back losing seasons for the first time in franchise history since 1971-1972. You can't survive that in Denver. I was skeptical of VJ from the moment he was hired, and I never understood the fascination John Elway had when he named him head coach. I'll never understand how Elway, who was around great coaches like his dad, Dan Reeves, Gary Kubiak, and Mike Shanahan, zeroed in on Joseph. I just didn't get it then and after two years, I was right. VJ was in over his head. His teams lacked discipline, (Baltimore game)2018 and Raiders game 2017) got outschemed or outcoached (Jets game and 49ers game 2018) too many times, and his game management decisions were pretty bad-especially this season (Texans and Browns game). There are some people that say that he never had a chance because of the QB situation he dealt with, but he just isn't the guy to lead this franchise. It was time for him to go. Now, we can move on and find a new head coach to lead this team. I know John Elway deserves his criticism and blame for the mess the Broncos have become, but I think he can right the ship. It starts with finding the right coach, and I think that Elway can still be the guy to find that next head man. I'll keep updating the blog with news and notes about possible candidates as the coaching search moves along.

No comments: