Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Broncos Name Vic Fangio Head Coach

On Wednesday, the Broncos named Vic Fangio the team's new head coach. Fangio, 60, is getting his first shot as a NFL head coach after being a longtime defensive coordinator. Fangio served as the Bears defensive coordinator this past season, and helped turn the Bears into the best defense in the league. Now, Fangio gets his shot as a NFL head coach and he gets his chance to turn the Broncos around. Fangio is known as a defensive genuis, and his players love him, but he is very hard-nosed and tough, so hopefully he can bring that style and change the culture in Denver. I always give every Broncos head coaching hire the benefit of the doubt (I was very skeptical about Vance Joseph though), so I will be positive about this hire. All I want is for the Broncos to be good again, and I hope that Fangio can do that and get this franchise back into the playoffs. Here are my quick thoughts on the hire.....

1) It is interesting that the Broncos went with a 60-year-old first-time head coach, who specializes on the defensive side of the ball, while the rest of the league is going with the young, offensive-minded coaches that fit the Sean McVay mold. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

2) I do think Fangio will get the Broncos defense playing at a high level again. There are still plenty of really good players on this defense and Fangio should be able to get that unit going once again.

3) I'm interested to see how Fangio and Elway co-exist. A lot of people say that Fangio is gruff and not the easiest personality to deal with. We'll see how this plays out.

4) It looks like Gary Kubiak might be back in the coaching fold as well. Kubes might be Fangio's offensive coordinator, or he might be an assistant head coach with offensive oversight and input to another OC. I don't mind that Kubiak is in the fold, I just hope we hire another OC with a more open mind to today's NFL offensive evolution.

5) Elway went from an inexperienced, player-friendly head coach in Vance Joseph to an older, disciplinarian in Vic Fangio. Teams always go from one extreme to the other in these head coaching hires.

6) As I said earlier, I am Broncos fan and I am excited that we have a new head coach. I'll get behind Fangio and hope that he can bring the Broncos back to the playoffs and get this franchise back on track. Go Broncos!

No comments: