Friday, April 23, 2010

Welcome to Denver, Tim Tebow!!!!

The Denver Broncos made the biggest splash in round one of the NFL Draft last night. The Broncos traded up into the first round and selected Tim Tebow out of Florida. The Broncos also selected WR Demaryius Thomas from Georgia Tech with their other first round pick. Tebow went 25th overall and Thomas went 22nd. Before I get to the Tebow pick, I must give Josh McDaniels, Brian Xanders, and the front office kudos. The Broncos kept trading down in the first round. First, from 11 to 13 with San Francisco and picking up an extra 4th rounder. Then, Denver traded with Philly down to pick 24, and the Broncos added two extra 3rd round picks. Then, Denver traded up with the Pats to select Thomas at 22, and they only parted with their extra 4th rounder. Then, in the biggest and balliest move of the night, Denver jumped back into the first round and traded with Baltimore for the 25th pick. Denver gave up one of their 2nd rounders, one of their three third rounders and their fourth rounder to get back into the first. With the 25th selection, the Denver Broncos select............TIM TEBOW!!!!

I love this pick, and I have been on the Tebow bandwagon since January. I always liked Tebow in college, but I was never sure that he was going to be a great NFL QB. I had my doubts, but then I was watching Florida take on Cincy in the Sugar Bowl this year. As the game was progressing, all of the analysts on the FOX broadcast just kept on killing Tebow and his NFL potentional. As they kept on killing him, Tebow just continued to slice and dice the Cincy defense to the tune of over 400 yards and 4 touchdowns. Right then and there I thought to myself that Tebow is going to be a great pro. I also decided that it would be awesome if Denver somehow got him in this year's draft. As the offseason progressed and Tebow's stock fell (Senior Bowl) and rose (Pro Day in March), I really had a feeling that Tebow in Denver was a possibility. When the Broncos worked Tebow out on Monday, I wanted it to happen so bad. If Denver didn't come away with Tebow in this draft, then I was going to be very disappointed. How many times do you have a vision of your team getting a certain player, and then it actually happens? It was awesome to see Denver on the clock after trading with Baltimore, and then seeing the camera cut to Tebow on the phone with the Broncos. That was one of the best Bronco moments since John Elway left town. I love this pick, and I think Tebow will be a star. I wrote a blog a few weeks ago about all the things that Tebow brings to the table. All I have to say is that Denver is relevant again in the NFL. The Broncos are no longer a stale franchise. The Prodigal Son has arrived in the Mile High City.

No comments: