Friday, September 9, 2016

NFL Week 1 Picks

The NFL is back, and Week 1 is here with some interesting matchups. Remember, the first week of the season is always tough to pick games, so it is important just to survive this week with a decent record. Here we go with the picks for Week 1....

Last Year's Record: 131-128-11
(HOME TEAM IN CAPS)


ATLANTA (-3) over Tampa Bay:
I think the Falcons will get off to a good start to the season and they will take care of business at home in Week 1 over the Bucs.

TENNESSEE (+3) over Minnesota:
Week 1 can be surprising, and I'm sure a lot people will be picking the Vikings, but I like the Titans at home here to start the season. Maybe they don't win outright, but I think it will be a close game. I think the uncertainty at the QB situation in Minnesota with Shaun Hill and Sam Bradford will play a major factor here.

PHILLY (-4) over Cleveland:
The Eagles might have a rough year but they will jump all over the RG III-led Browns and cruise to an easy opening week victory. Carson Wentz makes his first start of his career after barely playing in the preseason.

NY JETS (+3) over Cincy:
I like the Jets in this spot as a home underdog to the Bengals. I have to see how the season plays out for Cincy because I think they will take a step back this year. The Jets have a very tough early season schedule, so they need to get this win at home and I think they will.

NEW ORLEANS (-1) over Oakland:
Drew Brees and Sean Payton might have a chip on their shoulder, and I expect them to put up a pretty solid performance at home in the Superdome to start the year with a win over the Raiders.

San Diego (+7) over KANSAS CITY:
This could be a tough spot for the Chargers to go to Arrowhead and play in an early game in KC, but San Diego always plays the Chiefs tough, and I think this will be a tight game once again.

BALTIMORE (-3) over Buffalo:
Buffalo's disastrous offseason translates into a rough Week 1 as they head to Baltimore. The Ravens are ready to put 2015 behind them and they will take care of the Bills at home.

HOUSTON (-4) over Chicago:
Simply put, the Texans are a better team, and I look for them to get an easy win over the Bears in Houston.

JACKSONVILLE (+5) over Green Bay:
There are some expectations for the Jags this year, and I am intrigued by this game for Week 1. I think this game is close, and I look for a Packers drive led by Aaron Rodgers to pull it out, but it will be a good game throughout.

SEATTLE (-9) over Miami:
The Dolphins get a rough draw to start the year as they have to head all the way to Seattle and deal with the 12th Man. The Seahawks will jump all over the Dolphins and put them away early.

NY Giants (PICK) over DALLAS:
The late afternoon game that is featured in Week 1 is the Giants heading to Dallas to take on the Cowboys. These games are always close and I expect another tight game, but I'll the underdog G-Men in a game that could go either way. I can't see the Giants losing the opener to Dak Prescott.

INDY (-4) over Detroit:
Look for the Colts to come out of the gate and play well in Week 1-especially Andrew Luck.

ARIZONA (-5) over New England:
No Tom Brady for the Pats, so Jimmy Garopolo gets the start on the road on NBC Sunday Night Football. I think he will have a tough time going up against that Arizona defense. Look for the Cardinals to take down the Pats.

WASHINGTON (+4) over Pittsburgh:
This is the first game of the Week 1 Monday Night Football doubleheader. I think the Steelers will win the game, but look for a close game and a game that comes down to the end.

SAN FRANCISCO (+3) over Los Angeles:
The Rams are back in Los Angeles but they start the season on the road in San Francisco in Week 1 as part of the second game of the MNF doubleheader. I think the 49ers are in for a long season, but they will win this game as a home underdog to start the year.


No comments: