Sunday, September 10, 2017

NFL Week 1 Picks

Allright, allright, allright....Here we go with Week 1 picks for the brand new 2017 NFL season. Week 1 is always tricky because there are always some surprises and upsets, and it is hard to predict what will happen. Also, with the lack of offseason practices, limitations on the training camp schedule, and every coach afraid to get players hurt in preseason, the first month of the season is like a trial run. You really don't know who the good teams are until October. My theory as far as picking games in Week 1, is to just stay afloat, survive, and advance. Without further ado, here are my picks for Week 1.....

(HOME TEAM IN CAPS)

BUFFALO (-7) over NY Jets: Tyrod Taylor is on track to play this week after going through the concussion protocol. The Bills, who I don't expect too much from this season, look like they will jump all over the Jets in this matchup. The Jets don't have a lot of talent on the roster and this game feels like a party all day for Buffalo up in Orchard Park.

CHICAGO (+7) over Atlanta: I have felt all offseason that the Falcons will have a tough time shaking off the ghosts of their Super Bowl collapse. I could see the Bears playing well at home in this game, and I think the Falcons will win, but it will be closer than expected.

HOUSTON (-4) over Jacksonville: The Jags are a mess and they are starting Blake Bortles, but they probably don't have a lot of confidence in him as the guy for this team. I think the Texans will ride the emotions of opening up at home after the effects of Hurricane Harvey and play with a lot of passion and take care of the Jags.

Philadelphia (+1) over WASHINGTON: This is a very intriguing game in the NFC East for Week 1. I think the Redskins are probably the better team, but I see the Eagles coming into Landover and knocking off the Skins in a mild upset.

Arizona (+2) over DETROIT: This line just doesn't seem right. I can see Arizona going into Detroit and dominating the game. I have liked the Cardinals in this matchup since the schedule came out in April.

CINCY (-3) over Baltimore: Really good game in the AFC North to start the season. I think both of these teams are playoff contenders, so I expect a classic slugfest. I'm leaning towards the Bengals because they are at home, but this game could go either way.

Pittsburgh (-7) over CLEVELAND: The Steelers get the Browns in Week 1, and I see them rolling to another lopsided victory over their division rivals. I think the Steelers come out and make a statement to start the season.

TENNESSEE (-2) over Oakland: I have the Titans winning their division this year, and I think they will have a statement win over the Raiders at home on Sunday. The Raiders narrowly escaped with a win here last year, this time they won't.

LA RAMS (+3) over Indianapolis: Andrew Luck is out for the Colts, which means they are in trouble. I don't think the Rams will be very good this year, and they are still dealing with the Aaron Donald holdout, but look for the Rams to find a way to get the win at home over the depleted Colts.

GREEN BAY (-3) over Seattle: One of the best games of the year in the NFC comes at you in Week 1 from Lambeau Field in the late window on FOX. This game should be fun, and I expect a lot from these two teams this season. I'll side with the Packers because they are at home, but this will be a back and forth affair that should come down to the 4th quarter.

SAN FRANCISCO (+6) over Carolina: Interesting late game on Sunday. I think the Panthers will win the game, but with the lack of playing time that Cam Newton played in the preseason, I wonder if he will be rusty. Meanwhile, the 49ers will come out pumped up because it is a new era under Kyle Shanahan. I think this game is close, and I think the Panthers will win it late, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Niners pulled the upset.

NY Giants (+4) over DALLAS: The Sunday night opener features a familiar matchup for Week 1: Giants at Cowboys. This is a tough game for me to call. On one hand, I could see the Cowboys rolling at home in front of the national audience, but my gut tells me to go with the Giants. I want to see more of Dak Prescott-especially against this Giants defense. I think the Giants keep it close enough, and I wouldn't be surprised if the G-Men pulled out the victory.

MINNESOTA (-3) over New Orleans: This is the early game on the Monday Night Football double header. I've been high on the Vikings all offseason, and I will stick with them at home against the Saints. It will be interesting to see how the Vikings defense matches up against Drew Brees and the Saints offense. I'll take the Vikings, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Saints play well and even pull this game out.



No comments: